Saturday, November 01, 2008


Let us review!

Buh! My least favorite day of the week, filled to the brim with Art History and Drawing. Tuesdays take it ALL out of me, and I came home totally beat, just sitting on my bed, staring off into the dark. I'm thinking I'm probably going to just call it a night and go to sleep there and then. Mind you it was only about 7 at that point. Then my dearest darlingest Charlotte proposes we go make costumes, but I wasn't havin' it. She let me go back to sleep and so I tried.

Not much longer I hear my roomie down the hall shouting into her phone, "Carla! Our toilet is overflowing!" I'm just thinking in my head, "Really?! Common now." It's humorous now, but then I was totally incapable of seeing ANYthing funny about the situation.After they got that figured out, I just couldn't stay in the apartment any longer, so I met up with Charlotte in the College Center. By the time I got up there I got my second wind, and thus we decided to go on a box hunt for costumage.

We traveled here and there, checking any and all dumpsters around campus. Nothing was found. In fact, I think all the dumpsters had been emptied previously that morning. Then what are two girls to do? That's right, we went door-to-door. We asked most everyone we knew for any and all their boxes, from packing boxes to cereal boxes to tampon boxes. O the glory! The overflowing cardboard in our arms and on top of our heads finally stumbled into Charlottes apartment and the surgery began!

I got the biggest box and was taping and cutting and retaping and attaching and detaching. The same followed for my very square helmet, complete with boxy ears and a blinking antenna. I added eyebrows and an eye slot and teeth and buttons and little tid bits here and there. I was pretty happy with it. All that was left after Charlotte finished her Love Machine and I my Brobot was to spray paint them that silvery, robot color. And thus --

2D in the morning is never anything to fret about, and we weren't assigned any homework for the weekend. Woo! I came home and planned on going to Ace to get spray paint, but instead fell asleep til 4. 'Twas a good nap, but I needed to prepare the robots for Recess Club! After splashing some water in my face and gathering my things, I trekked down (on such a lovely day!) to Ace and picked up the long-awaited silver-metallic spray paint.

At that point I came home and grabbed le robots and headed to the spray booth. It was a big moment, folks! Our robots suddenly gained life! And I had tapped into the same feelings Dr. Frakenstein must've felt. I was so proud and excited to show off our new creations. And the opportunity would be nearing soon....

We brought our robots home and I had to go to Writing class. What a blast! We dimmed the lights and shared scary stories and goosebumps. And let me tell you, kids, my teacher has been through some fucked up stuff! Eesh! I was thoroughly creeped out....

But it was okay! I got to decorate my robot when I came home. I added a few blue buttons and CDs and turned on le antenna and Brobot was alive! Now for recess club.... I put on my black long-johns, black socks, black shoes, black long sleeved shirt, and silver gloves and then -- Brobot and I became one! It was pretty fantastic. I have never loved a costume more. Except for maybe when I was Patrick Starr....

Everyone looked phenomenal at Recess Club! (That's what's so great about art school -- pretty much everyone goes all out for occasions such as this. There's never really any half-assing anything. This is how I was built, kids! Go big or go home. I don't want any of this lameness shenanigans.) We took pictures and then played Ghosts in the Graveyard. Because Charlotte and I were pretty disfunctional in our costumes, we were wandering bases that everyone had to find and run to during the game. At the end of the night my costume lost two CDs, two buttons, and gained a mustache. I think my helmet eventually fell off too. What a good night!

More Art History. Boo. Then Media at 1. That class was fantastic! He scheduled 15 minute meetings with us each to discuss our projects and then we could go out anywhere for the rest of class because it was so nice out. I got the first slot, so basically class was over for me around 1:30. It was the weekend! Huzzah!

I sat on the lawn with Liz and Tim and whoever else decided to stop by and we just soaked in the sun. It was so crazy, having snow not too many days earlier and then enjoying the 65 degree warmth. Perfection! Eventually a few of us decided to hit up the New York Pizza place on Nicollet and thus we trekked over there around 5:45 or so.

The bouncy group included me, Z, K-Rad, Flower, Peter, Marissa, and Jamie. We walked there so briskly! And every bite of that pizza was so delicious. The walk home was much slower, but we finally made it upstairs in the College Center for Pumpkin Carving!

What a blast! I carved Kreeture into one, and then a skull into another. Gilly-P collected a billion seeds and Carla and I will be cooking them tomorrow. Everyone's pumpkins looked phenomenal! I had so much fun. I love structured school activities like that! It's kind of ridiculous! At that point the party fizzled out and we all split our ways.

Eventually I ended up at Charlotte's house and we had some delicious Mac'n'Cheese, of which I have NOT gotten tired of yet. Then we randomly decided to venture up to the fourth floor to gaze at her beautiful toothy. So wonderful! I love wood projects and can't wait for 3D next semester. I fully enjoy crafting things and gathering materials.

As we were walking around, we noticed all these plastic easter eggs hidden about the hallways. We decided to open a few and found they were all stuffed with candy! Thus the hunt began! We ran around the school, stashing candy in our pockets and pushing one another out of the way trying to find eggs everywhere. I don't think we even cared about the candy so much as just the joy of searching for said glorious eggs. Towards the end we felt guilty because there were notes inside the eggs, instructing us to refill the eggs and rehide them, of which we never did. Whatevs! We're just the lucky ones who found the eggs! Suckaaas!

Halloween! I woke up around 10:30, showered, and put on the costume for the all-official MCAD Costume Contest held in the College Center. Charlotte and I walked up there together and admired the general splendor. All costumes were so great! We each got numbers and waited in line to go out and present ourselves for the judges. As we were waiting in line, they announced the Pumpkin Carving Contest winners.

You see...I can't hear anything in my costume, so all of a sudden I feel Flower and Charlotte hitting my box, telling me to go out cause I won first place! I was so excited! I didn't even know what I won, and didn't expect to cause I was just having fun the night before! Not really trying to win the contest, so that was a great surprise! They handed me an envelope and I just stuck in the pocket I fashioned inside my costume. Then Boo Radley played and we hovered around the clearing in the curtains to watch. The song was heightening and I felt a sudden urge to bust out there and dance. I said to the girls, "Let's go dance!" So I jumped out into the middle of the floor and started busting some terrible robot moves, thinking the girls had followed me -- but no! They totally left me out to dry! Hahaha I think that made it all the better. And I slowly worked my way back off the stage. Embarrassing! But totally worth it.

The contest started and we all introduced ourselves. Flower's Beard costume and our Robot costumes both ended up making it to the top 5, and that was just a total blast. I was pretty freaking happy at that moment.

Afterwards the girls all went to class and Ethan and I watched the Bob Dylan movie, "I'm Not There". It was decent. Not a favorite, but entertaining to watch. Then 5 o'clock rolled around and I had been planning to watch the BOA Super Regionals in Atlanta online, so I left Ethan's and headed back to my apartment. I sat down in my chair and waited for the Golden Regiment to come on. I was so excited. I hadn't seen the whole show once the entire season, and that really made me sad. I loved it so much, and it just disappeared from my life like nothing. Everyone moved on and there were new members in the band, experience the same things I used to. I missed it so much.

I saw the wave of purple encompass the field and I was all smiles. As soon as the music started and Ben's fingers grazed the piano keys like a madman, I started crying. I probably didn't stop crying til well after the show was over. It was so weird, watching from so far away, seeing my friends up close, doing what they love, what I love. I saw Ben and Erin and Hanna and Jill and Cristina and Frances and Taya and Travis and all my lovely baritones. I saw Bevas' smile and Wilgium's look of intensity. It was so enthralling. I can't even explain.

I've felt a lot of things in my life, but there is absolutely no feeling like standing on the field at the end of a show. When reality hits you, and you look into the crowd, eveyone giving you a standing ovation and screaming and crying. Steam rises from under everyone's hats, shoulders rising and falling from everyone trying to catch their breath. Bodies erect, still performing as we march off the field together. The panic you feel, trying to find a spot in line to march off. The complete ethereal happiness of the feat you just accomplished. The thankfulness and respect you have for each person surrounding you because they worked just as hard as you did, and you know that none of what just occured could have happened without them. One band, one sound.

And with that we have all grown. And unless you've been there, in that uniform, with those people, I fear you will never understand, nor will you understand our need to continue the memories in our everyday lives. It encompasses your body, your mind, your heart, your soul. And I fear I'll forever be searching for that feeling that I can never get back. At least, searching for that similar understanding that only the people back home feel.

And I think --
that is what I truly miss the most.

Friday Night:
We covered ourselves in tin foil and rode to Chipotle, joining the other hundreds of people wanting free burritos. I have finally decided it was the best Chipotle burrito I have ever eaten, and no, not just because it was free.
We ate them at Amalia's.
We left.
Partied in 301, wherewhich I was not feeling the vibe.
I went home.
I slept.
I woke up.

The end.

1 comment:

Sara said...

That's too bad it was a bad day, because I didn't have class and it was AWESOME! Just kidding. I worked in the shop all day.

Toilets: Toilets are pretty nice.

Costumage: Boxes are pretty sweet.

Hum hooty booty tooty rooty fruity.

So I'm pretty tired of commenting. But pretty much I enjoyed reading this.

Foot boot toot loot.

Love you.