Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Captain Bluebear and Harry Potter

I'm currently reading The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear as seen on the left. It's an adorable tale of all the adventures this bear takes, including sailing with the mini-pirates, learning how to speak from waves, and falling into a feasting trap by the Zamonian Gourmetica. There's a lot of imagination involved and constant, clever foreshadowing. What initially drew me to the book was all the delicate pen illustrations inside. It's about 700 pages and each one is a savory delight for the eyes. Even the way some of the words fall on the page are unusual, similar to that of The House of Leaves. It's not just a book, which is why I've come to love its author and illustrator, Walter Moers. You could tell he put great thought into the way in which the reader would handle and interact with the book itself. On my cover the quote on the left is a bit different; it says, "Equal parts J.K. Rowling, Douglas Adams, and Shel Silverstein". That sums it up quite nicely, if I do say so myself! I don't know if this is the best book of all time, but it's one of the funnest books I've read in a while!


In other news, the countdown for HP6 has begun! This week my friends and I are watching one movie a night at each of our houses. I get HP & the Sorcerer's Stone at my place Thursday night. We're also going to be making our own Quidditch team uniforms for the premiere. I think I'm a chaser? Or was it keeper...well. I'm totally stoked regardless! I love being a nerd sometimes. It makes for a lot of nerdy fuuun! I already know who I'm sitting by too! Janessa and Erin. Sigh. No offense MCADians, but I'm way happier to be seeing it here at home than in Minneapolis.




In other news, we got another new roommate. According to her facebook she's 32. I don't know. We'll see...Maybe we three will go through the entire wait list. Justin said a lot of older applicants end up finding their own place and cancel.

1 comment:

Marissa Lundin said...

You are forgiven! We have you for Where the Wild Things Are! :)